Okay, I will admit to having totally forgotten about this project. But as I’ve recently come into some more samples, here’s an update. I regret not having also posted the ones I tried and disliked last time. I also regret not writing any kind of review or what I liked about the ones I did.
What I have done now is to go through descriptions of all the ones from my list to figure out which notes were recurrences. There were many, but the most common of these (ones that occurred three or more times) were:
Rose, patchouli, jasmine, various types of orange, amber, musk, and sandalwood.
Others that appeared only twice were:
Peony, lotus, magnolia, violet, iris, sambac, cassis, plum, saffron, vetiver, grapefruit, vanilla, white woods, and raspberry.
Everything else appeared once:
Yuzu, pomegranate, apple, green leaves, orchid, red woods, gourmand, praline, cardamom, tonka bean, heliotrope, persimmon, white flowers, coffee accord, cedarwood essence, pink pepper, black currant, orris, papyrus woods, strawberry, gardenia, blackberry, pear, lychee, wisteria, coconut water, sweet pea, bergamot, geranium, golden quince, freesia, damask.
Now that I know what I like, here is an updated list. In future I will update this from time to time with a cross through anything I decide to remove from it, and I will begin adding things I don’t like in italics. And from now on I will try to include a brief description of each one.
- Versace Bright Crystal
- Calvin Klein Euphoria
- Lancome La Vie Est Belle
- Jo Malone London Mimosa & Cardamom
- Michael Kors Sexy Amber
- Michael Kors 24K Brilliant Gold
- Michael Kors Glam Jasmine
- Marc Jacobs Decadence
- Marc Jacobs Daisy
- Marc Jacobs Daisy Dream
- Marc Jacobs Daisy Eau So Fresh
- Miss Dior Blooming Bouquet
- Miss Dior Eau de Toilette
- Miss Dior Eau de Parfum
- Chanel Chance
- Chanel Coco Mademoiselle
- My Burberry
- Yves Saint Laurent Black Opium
- Elizabeth Arden Untold
- Elizabeth Arden Untold Absolu
- Modern Muse Le Rouge
- Vince Camuto Capri – I really liked this one. It was calming and lasted most of the day. It described itself as a “cool breeze off the Mediterranean Sea”, and I felt like I could visualize that when I smelled it.
- Thierry Mugler Alien – I thought I would like this one seeing as it was made up of pretty much all things I enjoy, but maybe I just didn’t like the way they went together? Something about it was too strong and off-putting, and the thought that crossed my mind was that it was just too “adult” for me somehow. Long-lasting, though. I won’t be trying it again, for sure.
- Ralph Lauren Romance – I actually really liked the scent, but it only lasted for about an hour. Maybe the concentration was just too low? But whatever the problem was, I can’t choose as a signature scent something that I’m going to have to reapply several times throughout the day. That’s not simple enough for me.
- Ralph Lauren Midnight Romance – Not a fan. It was too sickeningly sweet and also only lasted around an hour (thank goodness).
More to come as I sample and re-sample. At some point I’ll also create a list of notes from scents I don’t like so I can try to look for patterns there, too.